Sunday, May 01, 2005

Family, The Anti-drug


Today's lesson: Want to teach your children right from wrong? Good from evil? Want to keep them away from drugs? To lead a good life? To stay out of prison? To raise a loving family of their own?

Start early. Take 'em fishin'.

Meet the love of my life. Jayla, 37 months but preparing for her doctoral dissertation, went fishing with me Sunday. For the first time in her life.

My daughter captured the rare moment with her camera when the line was actually in the water. Jayla was obsessed with the thought that a fish had stolen our worm and chose to frequently reel in the line. And I could tell there wasn't nearly as much excitement for her sitting motionless, waiting for a fish to bite, as there was in playing with the slimy, wiggly, fascinating ... worm.

She would cast the line out, and everyone would duck or take cover, sit on my lap for - on average - fifteen seconds, and turn to me and say, "I think a fish got the worm, Gramps." So she'd reel the confused worm in for the umpteenth time, give it a quick inspection, and fling him out into the lake again.


Pictured are Princess Jayla, Kaid, and Chase, being coached by my son, son-in law, and me. A family's bond being passed down from one generation to the next. And the next.

Rate of success? It's never failed.

Click on image to enlarge. Posted by Hello