Quote

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. Welcome to From On High.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

An Accident Waiting To Happen

Would you give your newly licensed 16 year-old a lightning-fast sports car to tool around in with his buds? Someone was foolish enough to. And the parents of four children are grieving this morning because of it.

From the Roanoke Times:

Bedford Co. crash kills 4

An automobile accident fatally injured four people and sent a fifth to the hospital Saturday afternoon in Bedford County, state police said.

The accident occurred about 5:10 p.m. on Virginia 665 (Diamond Hill Road) near the intersection of Virginia 616 in Moneta, officials said. A 16-year-old male, whose name has not been released, and three passengers were traveling east on Diamond Hill Road in a red Mitsubishi 3000 GT. The driver lost control of the vehicle and ran off the right side of the road, state police spokesman Bob Carpentieri said. The driver overcorrected the vehicle, crossed the double yellow line and struck a small utility truck with a dump truck bed carrying logs, he said.

State police said the four victims in the Mitsubishi died at the scene. (
link)

This tragic story reminds me of an incident that I got involved in several years ago. I was working in my office at home one winter morning when a neighbor called to say that the driver of a car had lost control and had proceeded to wipe out about a hundred feet of my four-board oak fence along the road frontage, and was sitting in the middle of my horse pasture.

I threw on my raincoat and trudged down to the scene, only to find what had been, a few minutes before, a beautiful black late-model Ford Mustang now buried in mud and debris. The car was badly battered by the collision with my fence, with even a four-by-four wooden post protruding from the windshield. To make it look even worse, the car was covered in muck.

The female driver, who stood all of five feet tall, was standing in the middle of the road, in a daze and soaking wet from the rain that was falling. I walked over to her to make sure she was all right. She looked up at me, collapsed into my chest, and sobbed uncontrollably for five minutes.

When she was finally able to speak to me, she told me what had happened. She was driving her car, a high-performance 5.0 liter Mustang, down the road when she came up behind a mail delivery jeep at the top of the hill in front of my house. Rather than come to a stop or check for oncoming traffic, she had proceeded to pull around the jeep. As soon as she did, she saw a pickup truck heading toward her.

So she punched the accelerator.

A high-performance 5.0 liter Mustang accelerator.

It was at this point that her car went airborne and into my pasture fence.

Her husband later told me that his young wife was not familiar with the car or its raw power. Its ability to sprout wings and fly, when called upon. The revelation came a little too late for the car. And my fence. And for his wife's emotional stability.

So. What's the moral of the story? A car can be a deadly weapon in the hands of an inexperienced driver. If you have a teenager who has just learned to drive, don't put him or her behind the wheel of a rocketship.

My condolences go out to the families of the four children killed in the Bedford accident. A warning goes out to parents who think they're doing their kids a favor by putting them behind the wheel of a potential death machine.