According to the study, conservatives tend to favor action shows, business and sports programming, while liberals mostly enjoy drama, comedy, documentaries and arts and educational programming.Far be it from me to suggest that this "study" is just a bit ... shallow - coming from the likes of the Norman Lear Center and Zogby International after all - but could it be (at least as it's being reproduced here) any more shallow?
Conservatives mostly like country and gospel music, and especially hate world music. Liberals like a variety of genres: world, punk, Latin, hip-hop, blues, R&B, folk and traditional music. Rock music is liberals' favorite.
About the only common area of interest? Both liberals and conservatives tended to list football as their favorite sport.
Anything I provide here is obviously anecdotal but I'd like to make a few points.
1) It would have been far more fair to make this declarative statement: Conservatives tend to prefer country music. Liberals tend to prefer rock.
2) I'm not all that clear as to what "world music" is, but we conservatives hate it? HATE it?
I want to meet the guy - conservative or otherwise - who says he honestly harbors hate for music - of any kind.
3) I like country music, though less so these days, now that it has been taken over by Hollywood producers and finds itself with artists like Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and Tim McGraw tailoring their work to reach to a different audience up north and overseas.
4) My music of choice (and I am unable to explain this; I wasn't even alive at the time it was in vogue) is 40's Big Band stuff. Kay Kyser. Vaughn Monroe. Dinah Shore. Doris Day. Sinatra. Jimmy Dorsey. Tommy Dorsey. Benny Goodman. Fats Waller. Glenn Miller. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.
5) What conservative doesn't like to listen to rock music? Perhaps not so much the material that passes for rock these days but classic rock is still to be found all across the radio dial, and we all know that liberals don't listen to the radio (thought I'd toss in my own stereotype, sorry). Who's supporting all those stations?
6) My favorite artist of all time? Marvin Gay. That's R&B to those of you too young to know who this incomparable singer/songwriter was.
7) Depending on my mood, I sometimes listen to jazz, or blues, or Latin or classical music. You ain't lived until you fire up the stereo and put on the operatic version - the complete version, unedited - of Wagner's Tannhäuser (I own two renditions; my favorite is done by Sir Georg Solti and the Wiener Staatsopernchor and the Wiener Philharmoniker - Decca, London, England, 1970).
8) Action shows? Most of us conservatives don't even watch a lot of television. As for me, I prefer CSI (is that an action show?) and ... little else. Documentaries are good - if they're good.
9) You forgot NASCAR and beer. For that matter, you also forgot the KKK, sex-with-the-sister, and gum disease resulting in major tooth loss. Oh, and body odor.
10) I'm as conservative as they come.
Oh, and (11) For the love of God.