Quote

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. Welcome to From On High.

Monday, September 12, 2011

The True Legacy of 9/11

I have to confess.  I was in a foul mood much of the day yesterday.  Not, as best I could tell, because of the dark day it represented from ten years ago when buildings - and dreams - came crashing down in New York and Washington and a plane was driven into the ground in a field in Pennsylvania.  It was because of idiocy like this, abut the "legacy" derived from the events that occurred on September 11, 2001, from the Roanoke Times.  It's a rare day that I get annoyed enough with America's leftists that I exit the internet, turn off my computer, and work to get as far away from people like that as I can possibly get.

That rare day was yesterday.

I was that angry.

Note to the new editorial page editor of the Times:  Leave your animosities at the boardroom door.  You don't like George W. Bush.  Fine.  But don't let your hatreds cloud your ability to reason.  When you or one of those working for you decided to write "Assessing the legacy of 9/11," did you even stop to consider the fact that, when the product was finished, you had a piece that could only be entitled "Assessing the Bush Legacy" or "We Still Hate Bush," and couldn't reasonably be considered associated with the events of that terrible day?

Yesterday of all days was not the day to make such a huge blunder.

Which is why I was really pissed.

One more thing. Let me provide, for your education, an example of what should really have been taken away from 9/11. And should have appeared in your paper on a day of memorial.  It's offered up by one Congressman Allen West, Republican, Florida:
As I reflect back on September 11, 2001, I remember being an Army Lieutenant Colonel training alongside the United States Marines at Camp Lejune, North Carolina. I had just finished my morning physical training when I heard the horrifying news. I knew right then, that myself, as well as my fellow comrades-in-arms were going to be called up to fight for our country. I knew whoever was responsible for this despicable attack would have to be held accountable. Since then, I have been to both Iraq and Afghanistan, and now in the United States House of Representatives, I will continue to work to bring every single one of these enemies to justice.

As Americans, we sit here today knowing that the war is not over. This radical Islamic enemy, this militant Islam we are facing is evidenced in Islamic Totalitarianism. It is not something with which we can appease or negotiate.

September 11th reaffirms for me the commitment to protect the country I have served for my entire adult life. As I sit on the House Armed Services Committee, I am determined to make sure our military is the most well-trained and well-equipped in the world, and their families are well taken care of. This enemy will continue to be pursued.

Let us never forget the Americans who lost their lives-- in New York City, at the Pentagon, and in a field in Pennsylvania-- let us not forget their sacrifice.

We will stand together as Americans, banding together to never allow any enemy to change, alter or threaten our way of life. Let 9/11 always have a place in our hearts and in our minds, and give us the strength to endure the battles that lie ahead.

God bless all of those Americans who have lost loved ones, and let them have peace today in knowing their country honors them and will not let them down.
That, sweetheart, is the legacy of 9/11.

I can accept your hatreds being expressed in that rag of yours. Most days. But not yesterday. Not a day you should have - like all normal Americans did - stop and reflect on how our lives were forever changed by Islamist madmen.

* Allen's tribute received via email.