'In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.'
- Abraham Lincoln -

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Adding To The Mystery

Here's something.  I wish I knew what it means.

I was reading Instapundit, and came upon this blurb:

"SO SINCE I UPGRADED TO FIREFOX 7, the fan on my Macbook Air seems to be running louder (i.e. full speed) and more often. Anyone else notice this? I assume something’s loading the processor harder, but can the upgrade make that much difference?"

Seems odd.  But I have to tell you, I quit using Firefox about a month ago (after upgrading to 7), not for the reason cited above, but because whatever on-line site I was visiting, whether it involved email or sundry websites, it kept freezing up on me.  Often.  And not for just a second or two.

Add to that the fact that I'm the "road rage" kinda guy - in this setting making me a "computer-freeze-up" kinda guy - and bad things were destined to happen to my monitor.

So I switched to a different browser.  First I went back to Internet Explorer and then moved to Google Chrome not for any good reason other than I wanted to try it out.

Haven't had a problem with freeze-up since.

Figure that out.

My only explanation is this: Norton anti-virus now - since the Firefox upgrade - has some kind of compatibility issue with it, which drives the browser nuts at irregular intervals.

Or something.

In any case, it's interesting to note that I'm not the only person having problems with Firefox.  Maybe they should look into this?