Quote

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. Welcome to From On High.

Sunday, November 06, 2011

The French Can Stick It

Make note of this date as a memorable one.  I am coming to the defense of my president.

Apparently the French people are up in arms over Barack Obama's recent effort to congratulate Nicholas Sarkozy on the birth of his daughter.  Said the president:

I want to make mention that this is our first meeting since the arrival of the newest Sarkozy, and so I want to congratulate Nicolas and Carla on the birth of Giulia. And I informed Nicolas on the way in that I am confident that Giulia inherited her mother’s looks rather than her father’s, which I think is an excellent thing.”

It turns out that Mr. Sarkozy is sensitive about his looks (I don't blame him).  Which makes the French people sensitive about his looks too, it appears.  Even though they're about to bounce him from office, they did not take kindly to Obama's throw-away remark.

To the French I say this: Bite me.  See if we bail your sorry asses out next time the Germans decide to goosestep down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

- - -

Question: What English word has no equivalent in the French language? 
Answer: Gratitude