'In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.'
- Abraham Lincoln -

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Giving Credit Where Giving Credit Is Due ...

... or something like that.

Roger Kimball thinks it proper to give the New York Times credit for getting something right.  And I agree with him enough to post my thoughts on the subject here.

Regular readers of this column know that I am not a paid-up member of the New York Times Book Review fan club. Quite the contrary. But, every now and then, that once-mighty organ manages to hit one out of the park, and “The Age of Kennan,” the long, exquisitely thoughtful review of John Gaddis’s new biography of George Kennan by Henry Kissinger is a case in point.

This is one of those reviews whose analytical power and historical pertinence combine to lift it out of the purlieus of the ephemeral medium in which it was born and, rather like Kennan’s famous “X” article in Foreign Affairs in 1947, catapult it into the realm of the must read. Congratulations to the Times on a superb piece.
I have no great interest in reading The Age of Kennan.  It's just not my kind of thing.

But I want to put a plug in for the New York Times Book Review.  Often, when I'm searching titles of new releases to take advantage of, I'll turn to the NYTBR for its take - yea or nay.  I value its analysis that much.  It's been that spot-on.

Too bad it has to associated with that left-wing pile of fish wrap though.