'In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.'
- Abraham Lincoln -

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Say What?

I think, if I were the captain of that cruise ship that sank off the coast of Italy the other day, I'd be coming up with a better response to the question: Why did you flee the ship, save yourself, and leave dozens of passengers in your care to a dreadful fate?

Right now, and until further notice, this is the Costa Concordia's Captain Francesco Schettino's excuse for abandoning ship:

"I didn't even have a lifejacket because I had given it to one of the passengers - I was trying to get them into the lifeboats in an orderly fashion. All of a sudden the boat listed between 60-70 degrees, I got trapped and ended up in one of the lifeboats. That's why I was in there. [source]

He accidentally fell into a lifeboat. And couldn't get out.

Meanwhile, the Italian Coast Guard has retrieved eleven bodies from Schettino's sunken ship, with nearly two dozen people still missing.

My, oh my.

- - -

May God forgive me.  I read this story and think ... how Italian.  

I know.  I know.  It's totally unfair ...