Quote

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. Welcome to From On High.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

So Who Do I Support?

My son asked me that question last night.  "Who do you support for president?"

I sat in dumb silence.

I had no answer.

Because, at this point, I see my "support" falling on ... the last man standing.

Whoo.  Pee.

Hear me roar.

I'm going to go all-out for ... Whomever The Republican Party Decides Is Least Objectionable To That Independent Voter Out There Who Pays Scant Attention To Affairs Of State And Won't Pay Attention Until The End Of Our Republic Is Nigh And He/She Sees The End Possibly Preempting His/Her Daily TV Viewing.

Christ Almighty.

So who would I support?

Well, my mood and outlook make me lean toward Attila the Hun.  But I hear he's dead.  And I'm not sure he'd be willing to take the gig (putting the western world to the torch was one thing, tackling federal entitlements is a whole 'nuther matter) anyway.

Ditto Paul Ryan (sans the deceased part).

I guess, right now, I'm holding out hope that Alexis-Charles-Henri Clérel de Tocqueville comes back to life and knocks some sense into the heads of the collective American body politic.

Short of that?  I just don't know.

For what it's worth, columnist Mark Steyn and I are pretty much in the same place these days.  We just want to get in that escape pod and get beyond the Death Star before it implodes.

Or, as Steyn puts it
Newt, meanwhile, has committed himself to a lunar colony by the end of his second term, and, while pandering to an audience on Florida’s “Space Coast,” added that, as soon as there were 13,000 American settlers on the moon, they could apply for statehood. Ah, the old frontier spirit: I hear Laura Ingalls Wilder is already working on Little House in the Crater.

Maybe Newt’s on to something. Except for the statehood part. One day, when America gets the old foreclosure notice in the mail, wouldn’t it be nice to close up the entire joint, put the keys in an envelope, slide it under the door of the First National Bank of Shanghai, and jet off on Newt’s Starship Government-Sponsored Enterprise?

There are times for dreaming big dreams, and there are times to wake up. This country will not be going to the moon, any more than the British or French do. Because, in decline, the horizons shrivel. The only thing that’s going to be on the moon is the debt ceiling. Before we can make any more giant leaps for mankind, we have to make one small, dull, prosaic, earthbound step here at home — and stop. Stop the massive expansion of micro-regulatory government, and then reverse it. Obama has vowed to press on. If Romney and Gingrich can’t get serious about it, he’ll get his way.
As that famous American once said, "Beam me up, Scotty. This place is going up in flames."