'In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.'
- Abraham Lincoln -

Monday, February 27, 2012

What? I Missed The Oscars? OMG!

Actually, I didn't miss the Academy Awards extravaganza.  I walked out of the room to read a book after sitting through about twenty agonizing minutes of the pre-Oscar show that had some TV personality interviewing Hollywood types, asking them - if they were female - "Oh, what are you wearing?"  and being told, "Why, I'm wearing Verscace."  Or Armani.  Or  Givenchy.  Or Tortelinni.  Or Squeegy.  Or ...  Kill me.  Just kill me.

I have to tell you, if the host of the show had stood before the microphone and made a crack about "the 1%" in this country, I'd have thrown my shoe at him.

What I watched reeked of pretension.  And self-absorption beyond belief.

So I missed the Oscars.  But maintained my sanity.

So, did that silent film win?  And does anyone outside the Land of Oz care?

- - -

As for the nominees themselves, the best line of the night comes from Hank Stuever of the Washington Post:

"Has there ever been a year where you felt less inclined to make sure you’d seen every best picture nominee?

- - -

Ouch: "The whole night looked like an AARP pep rally."