Quote

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. Welcome to From On High.

Friday, March 30, 2012

This Is As Close As They Come To An Argument

And it's shamefully inarticulate.

And nowhere in it is one going to find the word "Constitution."

The worst part?  It comes out of the mouth of a Supreme Court Justice.

Stephen Breyer:
I look back into history, and I think if we look back into history we see sometimes Congress can create commerce out of nothing. That's the national bank, which was created out of nothing to create other commerce out of nothing. I look back into history, and I see it seems pretty clear that if there are substantial effects on interstate commerce, Congress can act.

And I look at the person who's growing marijuana in her house, or I look at the farmer who is growing the wheat for home consumption. This seems to have more substantial effects.

Is this commerce? Well, it seems to me more commerce than marijuana. I mean, is it, in fact, a regulation? Well, why not? If creating a bank is, why isn't this?

And then you say, ah, but one thing here out of all those things is different, and that is you're making somebody do something.

I say, hey, can't Congress make people drive faster than 45 -- 40 miles an hour on a road? Didn't they make that man growing his own wheat go into the market and buy other wheat for his -- for his cows? Didn't they make Mrs. -- if she married somebody who had marijuana in her basement, wouldn't she have to go and get rid of it? Affirmative action? [link]
Is there some kind of principle being set forth or reinforced? Is this man's babble even comprehensible?

What in God's name is this old fool even doing sitting in judgment on the highest bench in the land?