Good afternoon - Chicago can't be feeling very good about Virginia today. First, the Vice President made all the wrong headlines while visiting the commonwealth. And then right as he leaves, a new poll shows Gov. Romney leading President Obama by 3 points among likely voters - a 5 point swing since July. The poll also concludes the selection of Paul Ryan has “bolstered Romney’s image.” If reporting on today's poll from Purple Strategies, please consider the following comment and background:A welcome shift in public opinion. And a timely one as the campaign starts to heat up.
“While polls may go up and down, the overall trend lines clearly favor the Romney-Ryan ticket. The President continues to see his support erode and on the central issue of the campaign, the economy, Gov. Romney enjoys virtually every advantage. Whether it’s raiding more than $700 billion from Medicare to fund Obamacare or record deficits and unemployment, President Obama’s dismal record is clearly working against him in Virginia.”
-- Michael Short, Virginia Communications Director, RNC Victory --
● President Obama has seen his share of the vote in Virginia decline for the third month in a row from 49% in June to 46% in July to 45% in August.
● President Obama has seen his job approval slip further underwater – now by double digits – declining from 45% in June and July to just 42% in August.
● Gov. Romney continues to lead among independents for the third month in a row.
● 42% of Virginia voters believe the economy is getting worse, while just 32 percent think it is getting better.
● President Obama’s personal favorability, seen as one of his biggest political assets, has taken a major hit and is now underwater 46/49.
● Gov. Romney’s VP pick, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, enjoys a positive approval rating 47/36.
"President Obama’s personal favorability, seen as one of his biggest political assets, has taken a major hit and is now underwater 46/49." Being a lying weasel and showing his stripes by uttering that "You didn't build that!" harangue directed at America's productive class will have that effect.
Things are looking up!
Received via email.