'In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.'
- Abraham Lincoln -

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Okay. That's A Bit Extreme.

I've been saying for years now that, when it comes to educating - and not educating - America's youth, I don't blame teachers.  And I don't blame the system.  I don't even blame Obama.

I blame the students.

For it's this country's students who choose to learn - or not to learn - in the twelve years they sit in a classroom.  Teachers can provide the tools.  But it's up to our young people to take hold of them and use them.

Which brings us to a teacher in Atlanta:

School: Teacher Helps Students Cheat Because She Says They’re ‘Dumb As Hell’

Though I appreciate the frustration that must have been behind that declaration on the part of math teacher Shayla Smith, it's a bit much to call her students "dumb."  Most of them are not dumb.

Disinterested.  Uninvolved.  Disengaged.  Antipathetic.  Unregenerate.  And ignorant.

But not dumb.

Expect the teacher to be punished.  And her students to continue to be disinterested, uninvolved, disengaged, antipathetic ...