Tuesday, December 03, 2019

'Dragon's Tooth' Was Calling My Name

"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.” - Vince Lombardi 



Last winter Jarrod, Kaid, Jayla and I hiked Cove Mountain. Our destination was Dragon's Tooth, a craggy stone outcropping at the mountain's peak. It was a 4.1 mile hike, half of which is on the Appalachian Trail here in Virginia. No, it wasn't a hike; it was a climb. In truth I made it about 3.6 miles up the trail and had to quit. Dizziness - and age - overtook me. I had to turn around and go back down.
Failure is a nasty thing.
It weighed on me.
And Dragon's Tooth laughed.
And laughed.
And kept calling my name.

I told Jarrod on Friday, "It's calling my name. And laughing."
His reply, "Let's do it."



Today we did it.
Again.
This time I was prepared. Prepared with the three essentials every old person should have on hand:
An oxygen bottle,
Adult diapers,
And Redbull energy drink.

Okay, I didn't have an oxygen bottle or adult diapers.
But I made the 4.1 mile climb.
I kicked Dragon's Tooth.
And laughed.